Calcot Manor’s impressive heritage
The original Calcot Manor has history spanning seven centuries.
Henry of Kingswood established the original building close to 1300AD as a tithe barn annexe of the Kingswood Abbey. The original date-stone is the tithe barn and verifies the building’s founding during the reign of King Edward 1. During the 16th century, Henry VIII dissolved England’s monasteries and granted ownership of Calcot Manor to Nicholas Poyntz (an English politician, courtier and Knight of the Shire for Gloucestershire). In 1598, ownership passed to Sir Thomas Estcourt (an English lawyer and House of Commons politician) where it remained in the family name until the early 19th century.
Calcot Manor opened its doors and made its beds for the first time in 1984 and has remained independently owned through a number of renovations and refurbishments to the buildings, rooms and grounds. Every stone and beam remains true to the original spirit of the property – respecting the impressive heritage of Calcot Manor.
When would you like to stay?
Request a brochure
Our printed glimpse at all that Calcot Manor has to offer.